Saturday, June 15, 2013

A bump in the road......

Key setup passed
It's been twelve plus day since the last post, the summer is here now and the out of doors is calling my name! The K2 build has not been on the back burner there has been progress and excitement as well. At this moment the K2 is back in the Panavise and parts are being added to the RF board. Before we get to that I did have a bit of an adventure with my last checkout........Alignment and test part 1.
Volt meter probe check
The relay test was perfect with hearing all the relay's clicking and talking to one another. I did not have to build the RF Probe or the Voltmeter probe as I had them from my last build. The testing of the voltmeter probe was good, the 4 MHz oscillator was within spec, the Audio and tone generator test was great,  I was able to adjust R1 for 3.80 volts no problem, keyer test and AGC threshold tests all were good! It was the S-meter alignment were things went south, my Cal S lo came in at 255 and I was not even able to preform the Cal S Hi at all!!! So it was off to the Elecraft reflector to find out what was going on. Don
R1 adjustment
W3FPR got back to me with the not so good news...."Your Cal S Lo is way  off" I was asked to check various components, make voltage and resistance checks. At one point there was thought I had issues with either U2 or Q12 on the control board. At one point I found the Control board to RF board connector was not seating and it was due to a washer that was under the Control board and not allow
Washer lifting board
connectors to seat fully. I remedied this but the problem was not fixed.  In the end after many emails and checking it turned out to be something very minor. The Front panel board was not fully plugged into the RF board. Once that was looked after the Cal S Lo and Cal S Hi all went as planned. Finally it was off to the bargraph Current test and it went very well. It's now off to Part 2 in the RF board assembly, it was what seemed to be touch and go with the first alignment and checkout but after it was all said and done just a closer look at inter board connections could had saved me over a week of emails, sweating and uncounted voltage checks, soldering connection checks, proper component placement such as diodes and finally the second guessing that goes on throughout the whole event!!
Washer that needed to be moved
One of many emails to sort out issue
Final and good reading
All is well now and it's off to new adventures in the build. I did want to take a moment to thank Don W3FPR for all his help and all those on the reflector who offer their advice to get you over the hurdles. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Mike, as we know we get the ups and downs along with the ride! I can't get over how patient Don is, he's very methodical and takes it all in his stride, (I have to admit I told him he was a bloody genius when he fixed my issue!) I was so pleased. So how far are you off finishing, can't be long now?
    73s - Richard M0AUW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Richard, yes Don has helped me out many times with all my Elecraft rigs. As for how long I have to go I am now mid way through my RF board. Soon the K2 will be on the air and making contacts. Before that time there will be many posts to come.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete