Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The build continues..........

The three components
The summer sure has put a dent in my K2 build, if you had asked me months ago I would had thought I would fly through the build over the summer. We have had some very hot days here (in the 40's C with the humid-ex) I work outdoors and those temps just do it out of me Im not as young as I used to be. After dinner and some house chores I was done for the evening and as I repeately said  in my blog "if your tired stay away from the build mistakes will be made" Things have been very slow going with the K2 build BUT it was time to get down to some custom component bending and placement again. This involves some component placement on the back of the RF board. One has to be very careful when identifying the spot on the PC board where the parts are to be soldered. I have
Here is the spot...notice trace humps to right
found that once the board is turned over many spots seems to look the same. I had to look for some very defining identifiers to make sure I was in the correct spot. For the spot I was looking for there was two trace humps to the right that made this area stand out and helped me identify component placement. This part of the build involved 3 components and their leads had to be contorted in and around solder pads. The first component I dealt with was the disc capacitor, it's large and really no lead bending is needed. This component seems to only need it's leads cut short and soldered. CAUTION.....check and double check you have the correct spot for these parts. With my first K2 build I was very very careful I checked and double checked parts....I did this part of the build and posted it on my other blog, it was pointed out to me by a reader that one of the parts was in the wrong spot!!!! With a  second look it became very clear I was out to the left with my part placement.
There is a smaller capacitor that has to have it's leads straightened out and some contorting added for proper placement. Take your time with the lead bending and make sure the bare leads do not come close or into contact with other solder pads on the board. I tried to keep the leads as short as possible so the component could not be moved about. This would stop inadvertent movement and accidental shorting. The last component and what I found to be the most challenging was the inductor. It's a large inductor that has to fit into a tiny spot. I had to try and re-try to get the inductor in just the right spot. The leads ended up having some very sharp bends so care must be taking to not pull on the leads or to much bending as the leads will snap off. I had to make use of my magnifying x 2 magnification lens  to make sure the leads were well away from solder pads on the board. One lead ended up being very short so care had to be taken when soldering as to not damage the inductor.
The completed result


No comments:

Post a Comment